As frightening as the current COVID-19 outlook is for the near future, there is an unspoken pandemic that we could be avoiding. The health crisis I am talking about is 95% of the time avoidable, and is the greatest burden on our health system.
The health crisis I am talking about is lifestyle related chronic diseases – diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease just to name a few.
Chronic lifestyle related diseases are causing devistation to millions of lives in Australia and responsible for more deal than per year then any flu season.
So let’s talk about the simple steps to keep you healthy in the long term:
- Regular exercise – minimum 150 minutes of planned exercise a week
- Eating the the Australian guidelines – 8700kj for a healthy adult
- Maintaining regular sleep patterns – 8 hours per night
- Maintain regular water intake – 2-3 litres per day depending on your body weight and level of physical activity
- Practice your version of mindfulness – taking time to do practices to reduce your stress levels and unwind
- Minimise alcohol intake
In this chaotic point in history, remember to do the simple things right and maintain your health for the long run. Your health is your greatest asset you have.